This is my daughters favorite cake of all cakes. The first time I made it she said I never had to make any other type cakes…this one suited her just fine…
I like the dense texture, together with the creaminess of the cream cheese frosting, and the crunchiness of the toasted coconut.
I hope you enjoy this delicious cake!
Hands down this is one scrumptious cake! The coconut milk in the cake adds extra coconut flavor, but it’s not overwhelming. If you’re a fan of coconut, you’ll DEFINITELY be a fan of this cake.
I don’t know about you, my dear ladies and gentlemen, but when spring and summer get closer I always tend to look for recipes with fresh and tropical flavors.
Maybe it’s because I am so bored of the winter already, that I want to do everything in my power to get to the sunny days as fast as possible! I look for these flavors in every recipe, whether it’s an entree, a side dish or a dessert. And cakes are definitely no exception! The other day I came across this delicious looking cake recipe and I knew I just had to give it a try right away.
It certainly didn’t disappoint! This super moist and dense cake is supremely decadent – the toasted coconut compliments it well. The cream cheese frosting is sweet enough but not too sweet and brings a great balance to this dessert.
I could eat a whole one – and who says I haven’t..! We’d love to hear how many pieces of this delicious cake you had at once unless you’re afraid to admit you had more than one!
- 1 c butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 c sugar
- 1 – 2 tsp vanilla extract or for more of a coconut flavor, add coconut extract
- 2 1/4 c cake flour
- 1/8 c coconut milk or coconut cream – optional
- FROSTING – I DOUBLE THIS
- 1/4 c butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or coconut extract is good as well
- 1 1/2 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 c coconut- for toasting and sprinkling on top of the frosting
- Note: can add a few tablespoons milk, cream or coconut milk ( i don’t , as i like a thick frosting on the cake )
How to Make Coconut Topped / Cream Cheese Sheet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with non stick cooking spray. Can also use a sheet cake pan. I prefer thicker!
- Cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, vanilla and then mix in flour. Add milk now if using. Beat in well.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.As this cake cools, it will fall…that’s normal…so don’t be alarmed…it should be the thickness of a sheet cake…it will not be thick like a regular cake…:)
Cool on cooling rack.
Note: some have said that this cake becomes even moister if placed in freezer as soon as comes from the oven. I’ve not tried it, but have also read that this is true with cakes in general.
- Frosting:Beat together butter, cheese, vanilla and add sugar.Mix until well blended.
- You can now toast coconut. I toast mine in a lightly sprayed skillet and keep tossing until golden. You can also place coconut on a baking sheet and toast in oven, turning frequently so not to burn.
- I then gently remove the cake from the pan; and cut the cooled cake into 24 squares, and top with frosting and coconut. You can leave cake in pan and frost. I did it my way for presentation…Enjoy!
Sharing the recipe is simple, click the f button below to share it with your friends. To print the recipe please click the green printer icon.